Bone Grafting in North Hollywood
Dental bone graft surgery is a procedure done by oral surgeons when your jawbone or mandible is weak and needs extra support. Support of the alveolar bone is done by the dentist using a bone from another body part or artificial bone material. Bone grafting is necessary before dental implants and if the deterioration is affecting the teeth and gums. Bone graft gives the jaw vital support and energy when chewing as pressure is exerted on the mandible. Have your bone graft surgery performed by the best dentists in town, located at Victory Plaza Dental Group in North Hollywood.
Amazing customer experience and dental service here at this location. Never a bad moment once you step in for your appointment. Vianka is amazing at the front desk!
Bone Grafting Cost
The bone grafting cost entirely depends on the type of bone graft procedure. Averagely the bone grafting cost ranges from $200-$1200 each. Having dental health insurance may come in handy sometimes, but if your insurance doesn’t cover it, you can get a great offer at the Victory Plaza Dental Group, the best dentist in town.
Insurances only cover about 80% of the bone grafting cost, and you have to cater for the additional costs. Bone grafting cost is determined by the type of anesthesia required, the amount of bone graft needed, and the duration of the procedure.
The bone grafting cost may differ depending on the size of tissue required for the bone graft, the type of material used, and whether your dentist is a specialist. If you live in North Hollywood, the best dentist in town for your dental care needs is at Victory Plaza Dental Group.
Dental bone graft
In a dental bone graft, the oral surgeon makes incisions along the jawline on the area requiring bone grafting and links the bone material to the incisions. A dental bone graft procedure is performed on an adult without permanent teeth or is suffering from gum disease.
Before the surgeon plans for the oral surgery, the first thing is to perform a couple of x-rays on the affected jaw for inspection. After investigation with a CT scan, oral surgery is performed to determine the extent of the mandible destruction.
After inspection, the dentist will determine the appropriate material to use for the procedure. There are different types of dental bone graft material available for oral surgery, which include;
Autograft is a type of bone graft where the bone material is harvested from a different bone on another part of your body, like the hip or jaw. The autograft bone graft material is extracted from the individual’s own body.
The use of your bone graft material reduces the possibility of rejection or transmission of diseases. Bone grafting cost is higher because this type of bone graft involves two surgical procedures, and you may be admitted for a few days.
The allografts involve the use of bone graft material from a human donor from a licensed tissue bank. The bone material is harvested from cadavers, and the donor undergoes thorough screening to ensure the tissues are safe for use. Bone grafting cost is cheaper in comparison to autografts. Allografts oral surgery is safe and affordable.
Xenografts use bone graft material from a donor of different species like animals, primarily horses and cows. The bone graft material is extracted, sterilized, and cleaned before use to ensure the recipient’s safety. The bone grafting cost depends on the facility and the number of bone grafts to be installed.
Alloplasts graft material is not extracted from any living creature but generated from a combination of synthetic and natural material. This type of bone graft blends well with the human bone during the healing process and is preferred by oral surgeons. The bone grafting cost is affordable due to the availability of dental bone grafts.
Type of dental bone grafts techniques
Block bone graft
As the name suggests, this type of dental bone graft refers to the use of blocks of bone graft materials from different body sites to support the affected jaw bone. The dentist will use bones close to your wisdom teeth.
Sinus lift graft
This type of bone graft is done to persons with bone loss at the upper jaw, which is dangerous because of the thinning of the lining separating the oral cavity and the nasal cavity. Bone deterioration at the upper molars eventually leads to leakage of the sinuses.
Tooth extraction bone graft
Tooth removal is an easy and quick procedure done by a dentist under local anesthesia in the outpatient department. In some cases, tooth removal is the best solution for your oral health. Tooth removal is done following the trauma of chronic tooth decay. When patients are not comfortable having a missing tooth due to aesthetic purposes, tooth extraction bone graft offers the best solution.
Tooth extraction bone graft will restore your smile by use of bone graft to prepare tooth restoration. Tooth extraction bone graft is done on the root canal to support the jaw in chewing, biting, and speaking activities. Tooth loss without tooth extraction bone graft will result in shrinkage of the bone and gums at the extraction point.
Tooth extraction bone graft is done as about 50% of the bone dimension is lost after tooth loss, and the bone loss is pronounced after three months of tooth removal. Tooth extraction bone graft oral surgery is done to improve the quality and function of the bone after tooth extraction.
Depending on the number of teeth you are missing or your wisdom teeth you need to be removed, you have options like tooth removal, bone graft, bridges, dental implants, and partial dentures. Bone grafting on the extracted tooth site will maintain proper function and reduce stress to the adjacent teeth. Tooth extraction for a bone graft is as essential for missing incisors as it is for wisdom teeth.
Tooth extraction bone graft of the wisdom teeth and front teeth is necessary for various reasons such as;
- The back teeth maintain the vertical dimension of occlusion (VDO), which is the distance between the upper and lower jaws. If the VDO is not supported by tooth extraction bone graft, the face tends to sink in.
- There is more pressure applied to the back teeth than the front, and in cases of a tooth extraction without bone grafting, the stress is concentrated on the front teeth. Over time the front teeth weaken and fracture.
- Teeth extraction without tooth extraction bone graft affects the general facial appearance and aging. The facial sink-in gives off an older facial appearance due to the lack of cheeks support.
- Tooth removal or missing teeth on the alveolar bone leads to the disuse of the bone, followed by shrinkage and sink in the facial structures.
- Tooth extraction bone graft is essential to maintain the structure of the jawbone and gums after tooth extraction. Indications for tooth extraction bone graft
- Tooth extraction bone graft is done to rebuild the defects to the adjacent teeth following a tooth extraction to reduce the predisposition of periodontal disease
- To correct the anatomical imperfections of the bone after tooth extraction like oroantral communication
- To preserve the structure of the tooth for future procedures like dental implants
What are the steps of bone graft surgery?
There are a couple of steps that are followed during dental bone graft oral surgery, which include;
- Monitoring of your vital signs before and after administration of anesthesia
- Sterilization of the affected jaw bone area
- Making of an incision where the bone graft material should be grafted
- Grafting of the bone graft material to the bone
- Securing of the graft material with adhesives and screws
- Sewing of the incision to promote the healing process
What to do after tooth extraction bone graft
After the surgery, it is normal to feel small granules in your mouth a couple of days after tooth extraction bone graft. There are several instructions you should follow for successful surgery, and they are;
- Don’t disturb or constantly touch the areas
- Place ice packs on your face at the site of the tooth extraction graft to reduce pain and swelling
- Don’t smoke
- Avoid spitting and sleep with your head supported by pillows to reduce the chances of blood clots.
- Don’t touch and apply pressure to the site with your finger or tongue as the bone graft is still mobile.
- Avoid touching the sutures, as that will increases your chances of infection at the graft site.
- Use a sterilized gauze pad to clean off the blood and any oozing from the surgical site
- Take lots of fluids after the oral surgery and avoid straws as they may increase bleeding
- Brush your teeth but avoid the surgical wound to encourage oral hygiene and prevent infection
The recovery period of bone grafting
Bone graft surgery is done on an outpatient basis unless the dentist will need to monitor the patient. After the anesthesia wears off, you are discharged and ready to start the recovery process. Healing from bone graft surgery will take about 4-6 months, depending on the care and following instructions given by the dentist.
There are some symptoms to expect after tooth extraction bone graft or bone graft surgery that are normal, and they include;
- Minor bleeding at the site
- Gum sensitivity
- Swelling of the gum
- Nausea from the anesthesia
The dentist will prescribe painkillers for the pain and blood thinners to reduce the chances of blood clot formation at the site of surgery.
The patient will be advised to consume soft foods high in calcium and vitamin D to speed up the healing process and reduce the chances of bone graft failure.
The dentist will do an x-ray to confirm the fusion of the bone graft and the jawbone, followed by removing the screws and stitches. Healing and complete fusion are signs of successful surgery.
Signs of dental bone graft failure
When the surgery is performed with care and by trained experts, signs of dental bone graft failure are minimal; however, some factors can predispose you to bone graft failure. Some of these factors are weak general body health if the material used was infected, poor oral hygiene, oral infections, poor post-op care, and unsterilized tools and complications following surgery.
Bone graft surgery can fail if you don’t follow the care instructions given by the dentist. However, there is no shame when your bone graft fails, as it may not be your fault. It is wise to visit your dentist when you notice signs of dental bone graft failure. Signs of dental bone graft failure include:
- Blood clots formation at the site of surgery
- Heavy bleeding
- Drainage of foul-smelling secretions from the area with an increase in volume
- Intense pain increasing in time, severity, and unmanageable with over-the-counter painkillers.
- Uncontrollable swelling and redness of the gums that don’t subside with time.
- Nerve damage at the jawbone on the site on bone graft.
- Bone growth failure without an increase in bone volume
The signs of dental bone graft failure are likely to occur three to five months after the oral surgery. If the symptoms of dental bone graft failure last more the 3-5 days, it is best to consult your doctor for further investigations. The bone graft can fail after a prolonged period after the surgery. Be attentive for the following signs;
- Pain radiating to your neck or head
- When you feel the dental bone grafts are under pressure when biting, chewing, or eating
- Oral infections of unknown origin following bone graft
- Worsening of oral hygiene despite proper oral care
- Clenching of the teeth due to sensitivity which was not present initially
- Gum recession followed by fluctuating bone volume at the operation site
The above symptoms will occur regularly, and you should follow up with a bone graft specialist. It would help if you were vigilant after the surgery to ensure your bone is entirely compatible with bone graft.
Victory Plaza Dental Group, North Hollywood the best dentist in town
The facility is located in North Hollywood and provides dental health services to both kids and adults. The clinic provides care including tooth extractions, tooth removal, and bone graft surgery. Victory Plaza Dental Group has the best dentist in town offering dental surgery and bone grafting cost that is affordable to most. Looking for a dentist near me in North Hollywood, look no further than at Victory Plaza Dental Group, where your oral health care needs are our priority. Contact us, book a consultation, and have your dental health issues solved.